Rental Car Insurance ?

Ill be using a Debit Card to rental a vehicle at MCO this week. I don't own a vehicle were i live but have a valid driver's license. My question is im having a difficult time understanding my options for rental insurance can someone break it down for me. 

What is required for rental insurance? What do i have to have to rent not what will be good to have but what is MANDATORY to have to rent. 

Also i looked up a 3rd party site that offers Rental Insurance will that cover me - https://www.sureapp.com/rental-car-insurance/payme...

Attachment image

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Kieth
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

You can opt to use your own insurance or that on your credit/debit card, but if you use their own insurance it avoids complications. There is no waiting period, and you don't have to file a claim. Plus, some car rental companies rent out cars with minor damage that they can charge outside insurance companies for, getting paid for the damage several times. They can't do that with their own insurance.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Bort
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

I'm not sure an auto rental will allow you to rent without your own insurance. All of this information is best asked to the rental agency your reservation is with. Call them and ask.

You might get answers here but you can't guarantee they're going to be 100% accurate for a lot of reasons:

You didn't say what auto rental company it is. They're not all the same. Every one of them has different policies. Yes, they're generally the same but an answer here is very unlikely going to be the exact policy that company has - especially since you didn't include what rental company it is.

Their policies could be slightly different depending on what vehicle you've reserved or they reserved for you. Nobody's going to know those specific details here either - especially since you left that info out too.

Call the rental company.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The rental agent determines what insurance they require to rent to you - ask them. Minimum legal requirements are the same as for a vehicle you own, usually just a specified level of liability, but the rental agent can and usually does require more, and often will provide it at a cost.

• 4 weeks ago

What's required is what the rental company says is required.  More than likely liability & collision.  My credit card covers this.  Now what your ATM card covers maybe (and likely is) different.  Call your bank, and see happens if you total the car & it's your fault.  Or you kill someone, total their car & it's your fault.  Make sure your bank card covers this.   

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • LA LA
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

First and for most, check with your bank, or credit cards.  Most of the times they do have a prevision that covers rental insurance.

Supplemental liability protection will pay for damage you do to others’ vehicles or property. A typical limit is $1 million. If you have no auto insurance (for example, if you don’t own a car), you should buy this.

A loss-damage waiver (LDW), also called a collision damage waiver (CDW), gets you off the hook for any damage to the rental vehicle or theft of the car. It’s technically not insurance but rather a waiver that says the rental car company won’t come after you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.