Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsEngagements & Weddings · 1 month ago

My best friend is getting married to my brother?

I was the one to introduce them together. How should I feel about this? It seems that all my friends are getting married except me. I know I should be happy for her, but instead I just feel bad. Does this make me a bad person?

• Foofa

If you can't see past your own envy and celebrate your brother's and your friend's happiness you should probably go talk to a counselor about it. Other people don't curtail their lives just to avoid upsetting you. There'll always be someone better educated, someone who makes more money and yes, someone who gets married before you do. If you can't feel it for real then learn how to pretend. No one deserves to have their joy diminished just because their sibling/friend isn't yet at the same stage in life.

It seems to me this is just a slightly reworded thread that was already on here.

There is no "should feel."  You feel how you feel.  Does it make sense to begrudge someone their happiness because you haven't found "the one" yet? No, of course it doesn't.  Does being jealous make you a bad person? No, it just show that you don't fully grasp that no one is taking away anything from you by finding love and deciding to get married.  You are in charge of your own happiness and contentment.  You are in charge of figuring out what you want and how to get it.  Being sad or mad isn't going to change how your friend and brother feel about each other and it also isn't going to help you find that special someone. 

Imagine how I feel.  Years ago I was in lots of weddings 24 if I haven't miscounted.  Now I'm 55 and hoping for my own.  Good Luck and God Bless 🙏

Wow... that's just sad.. you don't want your best friend to be your sister in law because you are jealous???? You should be HAPPY for them!

You can feel however you want to feel about it. But you can’t control other people’s choices so there’s nothing you can say or do about it.

If you feel jealous or left out because most of your loved ones are married, you’re allowed to feel that way. But it would be wrong and mean to take your negative feelings out on others.

It would also do well for you to remember that a person’s worth isn’t defined by their marital status. Or that being single is somehow wrong. If this feeling has consumed your life then maybe therapy would help. 

If your best friend and your brothers upcoming wedding does not make you happy, then I have no idea what will.

There is no need to feel sorry for yourself because the right man has not found you. Being a bride has no expiration date. Stop putting pressure on yourself. Your job is to be the best you can be and continue following your passions in life. That way you will be among like-minded people who have common interests with you, where are you are bound to meet new friends and perhaps find Romance. Don't be hard on yourself !

i also feel bad that my best friend is getting married and i'm not even engaged when i've been with my boyfriend for over 3 years. doesn't make you a bad person! everyone has feelings but sometimes we just shouldn't talk about our feelings as it's not your place.

Why would you not be super happy about this? Your best friend is becoming your family. How old are you that you're so concerned about marriage?