Randy asked in Games & RecreationGambling · 1 month ago

Basic Strategy in Blackjack?

I've recently learned basic Strategy in Blackjack. I am using the basic strategy correctly, however, ever since I began to do so I've been losing much more. My wife, on the other hand, does not use basic strategy - She wins way more than I do. Neither one of us card count. This is sort of sucking the fun out of blackjack for me. Can someone explain this?

• Jay P

Basic strategy is based on odds.  It does not guarantee you a win or even to win more money compared to playing erratically ( not following basic strategy ).

But based on long term play, you are more likely to win more ( or lose less ) by adhering to basic strategy.

In gambling there is always a chance and luck involved. Using basic strategy improves your odds of winning, but does not in any way guarantee that you will do better than someone else who is not using basic strategy. 

Casino games are designed so that everyone playing has a chance to have a winning streak or a losing streak on essentially any game. Because the element of chance is so high this will happen to you multiple multiple times if you play enough hands, but it will be more common for a better player to do better.

Maybe your wife is simply luckier than you??  I use basic strategy myself.  I have some winning sessions.  But more times than not, the casino gets my money.  And sometimes PDQ.  The 1st time I went to Vegas & before I knew about basic strategy, I would hit on 14, and stay on 15.  No matter the dealers card.  I played for 4 - 5 hours, and I finished 50 bucks ahead.  Sometimes lady luck is with you, and sometimes not.