POLLS: Can employer hold you back for a meeting after your shift?

I work at UPS as a package handler and 3 times already this month I was held for a meeting from 3:05-3:30 sometimes 3:45.

I work 7am-3pm, and I was told by one of the supervisors that they do not pay you after 3pm even if its for a meeting.

I did not do anything wrong they just tell me what I can do different but why can't they tell me that during the shift? Why hold me and possibly other back after? And not even getting paid?

They tell me "well at least you have a car so if we hold you back at least you don't have to take transit".

If they require you be at work, they have to pay you. So yes, they can have the meeting, but they just have to pay you for the time.

• Neil

Yes they can. You can, of course, walk out anyway but they of course don't have to employ you any further.

That said, they do have to pay you.

"I did not do anything wrong they just tell me what I can do different."   This doesn't sound like an ordinary "meeting" to me.   Let's hear the rest of the story.

If the employer requires you to attend a meeting they have to pay. https://work.chron.com/paid-mandatory-meetings-230...

U.S. Department of Labor  Wage and Hour Division                                    (Revised July 2008)

Fact Sheet #22:

Hours Worked Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) This fact sheet provides general information concerning what constitutes compensable time under the FLSA. The Act requires that employees must receive at least the minimum wage and may not be employed for more than 40 hours in a week without receiving at least one and one-half times their regular rates of pay for the overtime hours. The amount employees should receive cannot be determined without knowing the number of hours worked.

Lectures, Meetings and Training Programs: Attendance at lectures, meetings, training programs and similar activities need not be counted as working time only if four criteria are met, namely: it is outside normal hours, it is voluntary, not job related, and no other work is concurrently performed.

Where to Obtain Additional Information For additional information, visit our Wage and Hour Division Website: http://www.wagehour.dol.govand/or call our toll-free information and helpline, available 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. in your time zone, 1-866-4USWAGE (1-866-487-9243).

This publication is for general information and is not to be considered in the same light as official statements of position contained in the regulations.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs22.pd...

Yes they can require it even if it is over 40 hours in a workweek. But you must be paid.

your manager can probably do anything she wants.  

UPS is a union shop. Check with your local union.

Yes, they can require you to stay.

If you are an hourly employee, they have to pay you for it, but they can make you stick around.

And no, if a supervisor told you different, he needs to go back through training.  Refusing to pay an hourly employee for required attendance is actually illegal.