Can i post alcohol from the Ukraine to the UK?

I am going to Ukraine soon and i wont be taking a bag on the flight as it costs extra. The down side of this is i wont be able to take liquids through with me. I could buy Vodka at the airport but i would prefer to have a Vodka with no English writing on it as it feels more authentic. Also it is cheaper to not buy at the airport.

Do you know if it would be possible to buy some Vodka in Ukraine and post it to the UK to my home address?

• Mr. P

You should be able to do it as long as there is a customs note on the packet stating how much it cost.

You could also mail it to yourself, so it is your property to begin with, and not a gift.

To be extra sure - open it and have a sample before you send it. Then it is treated as personal effects as it cannot be re-sold. They are mainly concerned with people  avoiding tax revenue and most of the laws are set up with this in mind.

As a general rule, it's illegal to mail alcohol internationally. I have checked Ukraine's postal service website and while I couldn't find any mention alcohol specifically, it did say that perfume cannot be mailed because of the alcohol content. You can probably find a courier company to do it. However, given the probable cost and general hassle of doing that, I wouldn't bother.

From what I understand, as long as you only import a maximum of 1 litre of vodka and the value does not exceed £39 then it will exempt from customs duty and import VAT. Vodka will be far cheaper to buy from a regular shop rather than at the airport. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-...