if the Normans hadn't of conquered england, what would britain be like today?

what would be different about britain today?

and would i still be here?; a man in my 40's from britain with ancestry from spain and the isle of man.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

A man from Britain in his forties who can't write a grammatical question in English? I smell troll.

But, on the off-chance that you're genuine, the Norman Conquest was the most important single event in British history - but it wasn't the foundation-stone.

William the Conqueror didn't found a nation. He muscled in and took over a going concern. The true nation-building was done far earlier - ironically by invaders. The Romans, Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Scots, Danes and Norwegians all invaded parts of Britannia at various times (actually the Celts were also invaders/settlers - there was a substantial pre-Celtic civilisation) - but the Norman one was undoubtedly the seminal one.

Why so? Well, it was the last significant one (the idea that England was never invaded after 1066 is laughably false), but more important was the fact that it changed the way Britain faced. Before 1066, England, Scotland and Ireland were part of the Scandinavian world. After 1066 they were much more closely tied to France and the rest of Continental Europe.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

"Hadn't OF"?  What is the 'of' for?

What ifs are pointless.  They did.

• cogito up yours you self righteous piece of garbage.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Marli
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Who knows what would have happened over 1000 years?

• 1 month ago

There were other Viking groups than the Normans. The Danish, Scandinavian, the Russian/Latvian/Estonia ones and then of course the Germanic tribes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.