Do you NEED an appointment at a California DMV to take your permit test?

I want to take my permit test ASAP and I don’t care how long I have to wait in the office, but some people have told me you need to make an appointment (soonest appointment is in 2 months) and other people have told me you can walk in? Is this true?

• Edna

In most DMV offices (unless you go to a very large office that is located in a large city & has a lot of customers), you won't usually have to wait in line very long in order to take the test and obtain a permit. In the smaller offices, you can walk in, pay the application fee, and take the Written Test. No appointment is necessary You can, if you want, go to one the smaller DMV offices and save yourself some time - you don't HAVE to go to the office that nearest to you. You can go to ANY DMV office anywhere in the state and take your tests

.

You have to make an appointment to take the Road Test; but you're still a LONG way from that. . 

• May

Appointments are required.

• Edna
      1 month agoReport

An appointment isn't necessary in order to take the Written Test & obtain a 'permit'. An appointment is necessary only if you want to take the Road Test. 

I'm positive the big state of California has a DMV website.

Yes, you must make an appointment. The link below gives you all the information on how to go about it. You can make the appointment online. 

There is the Driver's Training Manual book you get from DMV and study FIRST  because there are 2 tests.  One is the written.  You have to pass the written to get the Learner's license that permits you to sit in the driver's seat while a person who has a Driver's license rides with you while you learn how to drive the car.

You get the book first.  Study it from cover to cover because you can walk in and write the written exam...and you need to "ACE" the written...or they do not give you a learner's license to go out and practice with Dad or Mom.  That takes 2 weeks of just practicing and then you phone in and make an appointment for a ROAD TEST.  Where the Driver Examiner sits beside you instead of Dad and you got to drive for him doing EVERYTHING RIGHT.   He either passes you or fails you.   You can fail multiple times.   One lady I know who does not speak English failed 25 times.   There is a 2 week span between each road test for you to practice and do it right (so that lady took a YEAR) from the first day she tried the road test until she got her driver's license.     If you are unlucky and fail the road test "the soonest you will be retested is 2 weeks Later"

That is the deal.  That is all written in the "Driver's Training Manual" too.

• Ron

The only people that know for sure are the folks at the dmv. I would imagine that you can walk in at one in a small city where not a lot of people go. Have you tried other locations for appointments?