Is a $950 a month rent on a $1224 every two week income a good thing to do?

So I've been looking for a room to rent. I know I can't be picky but I know what I want.

I would like a room with its own private bathroom.

I make $1224 every two weeks (the 15th and the 30 or 31st depending on what month it is).

I am good at saving when I have to but since I live with my mom, I don't put in the effort to be disciplined in terms of spending $. However, if I'm saving for something, I can be very disciplined.

So, I want to know if this is doable?

Also, I take public transportation. My pass is $30. Not only that, my job reimburses us. 

I buy my female products at the 99cent store, I'm a vegetarian so I don't but much food. And the place I inquired about has laundry on site and utilities and all are included.

Favorite Answer

I think you can do it.  All the best. 

if that $1224 is after taxes then yes you should be fine,

• COCO PUFF1 month agoReport

Yes it's after taxes.

No it is not & you would not likely get approved.  Your rent should never be more than 1/3 of your gross income & most landlords require that to qualify. 

Most of what you posted is irrelevant to the equation. 

Not a good thing to do at all really

Too much.  Probably not much more than $700 bucks.  Otherwise look for a room, an efficiency, or someone that's looking for a roommate.

• COCO PUFF1 month agoReport

I said I'm looking for a room in the body of my question.

No, it’s not.  Fortunately, most landlords will be willing to help prevent you from making this mistake by refusing to sign a lease with you for this amount.  

• Damien

yeah its doable but youre screwed if you get fired

• COCO PUFF1 month agoReport

Would I still be screwed if the rent was 755?

Technically they say the SAFEST way to rent is to only pay as much as a normal one week's paycheck. However in today's world, that number can be half of what you make or even a bit higher.

• Raymond L.
      1 month agoReport

LOL if you live in most big towns on the left coast its pretty hard to do that. yeah, lore like 50% of your money goes to rent.

• Judy

No, about $816 is as high as you should go for monthly rent. And by the way, if you get paid twice a month, that's not every two weeks, is 24 paydays a year, not the 26 it would be if you were paid every two weeks.

Totally delusional. $740 max. But without good credit and a prior rental history, you may have a problem even renting something you can afford.  I did not move out until I was 30. Had great credit but no prior rental history and self employed and could not prove my income. They were not going to rent to me until I showed them a brokerage statement worth about 15 years of rent.