Ralishev asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Is it acceptable to call 911 if you suspect nefarious doins at a neighbor's  house?

Or will they be pissed that you called the cops? Their dogs are going nuts and that has never happened before. Maybe they are dead in there or need help and that's why the dogs are barking. They have never created a nuisance before. Something must be wrong over there

• Bort

I wouldn't call the police right away if they were a neighbor I got along with. I'm the type of person, I'm male by the way, that keeps to them self but I have a really playful Staffordshire so when I'm out playing with the my furkid if any of my neighbors are out we end up talking because of her. Our lawns aren't fenced and the neighbors all love my dog so the neighbors not only don't mind her running and roaming and playing in their yards (I ALWAYS supervise her when she's off the leash) they enjoy it and we all play with her when she's outside.

Even if I were just an aquaintence with my neighbors if I had the concern that you did what I would do, first, is go on over and knock on the door and check things out before I go calling the police and causing a big scene, etc.

If they answer just let them know you were concerned and making sure they're alive / etc because you haven't seen them around and because of the dogs carrying on being abnormal.

If they don't answer and you know they're there then, yeah, if this is that abnormal maybe calling 911 to have them checked on isn't a bad idea. I would check myself first. If you're uncomfortable doing that maybe bring it up to another neighbor and ask them to check on them.

Why would you go to your computer, navigate to this site & post a question & have to wait for answers, if all of this is true.

I would call the Sheriff's & get someone out there to do a welfare check on the people. If they are neighbors , you have their phone number, you could call. Or call another neighbor & see what they think. Don't know of anything I can do to help. Just use common sense & use your instincts.

If you want the police to go over and check to see if the neighbors are okay, it is a legitimate police call.  They call it a check the welfare call.  There are many types, such as people not gathering their mail for many days but you know they are Home, or someone doesn’t shoe up for work, they live alone and didn’t call in nor are they answering their phone etc etc.

Being a neighbor you know your neighbors normal routine to a point, weather they throw wild parties and play music till all hours or whatever.  Things that are about of the ordinary for them, or you see a moving van and a lot of strangers but no mention they are moving out etc.

Your not calling the police to start a fight, if you are truly concerned then by all means give a call.  If you fell inside your home, and let’s say the bookshelf fell on top of you, let’s pretend the neighbor heard you yelling to call the fire department, or just yelling for help, would you want them to ignore it and mind their own business so you end up dying on the floor all alone?

No, you call the department service number.

911 is for use ONLY when immediate life/limb  saving or /property saving need arises.

For suspect crime, the service number is just as effective.

Plus on the service number you will get someone who will actually listen to you, rather than some panic stricken self important bugger.

• Goerge

Acceptable? No. Legal? Sure, that's usually called a welfare check but you're playing roulette with officers. Get an idiot and they could end up shooting a resident. Police officers have gotten much much stupider over the past 50 years. They usually have a NON-EMERGENCY number that you can call so that you don't bother the 911 operators. 

You could just go over there and knock the door yourself. You seem to monitor them closely already, so going over shouldn't be strange for you.

Unless you just want to call the police to get them into trouble and came here for validation?

Source(s): GSD owner of 57 years.
    • Ralishev1 month agoReport

No, their dogs are causing a ruckus. I've never even noticed them before.