My 1993 Toyota Camry overheated and I noticed this (sensor ?) is disconnected. What is it and are the two problems related?

• Erik

I have the same car, and I would love to help you, but there's no way to tell by that picture.  You need to show the entire engine bay.

Whatever that plugs into, it will be close.  It won't be two feet away.  Just looking at it, it looks (on mine) like it plugs into the fans, which would explain why it is overheating.  Take some more pictures and I can give you a better answer.

That could be the A/C compressor clutch plug? Hard to tell. OK, the MOST common reasons for overheating are:

#1. There's a coolant leak in a hose, radiator, heater core, intake manifold gasket, head gasket. 

#2. The cylinder head is warped and there's coolant either leaking outside of the engine between the block and cylinder head or into the combustion cycle where you can't see tiny amounts of coolant disappearing with the exhaust.  

When the coolant level drops too low, there's no coolant flowing through the cylinder head and this can cause the temp gauge on the dashboard to jump to a high reading. Eventually the excess heat will warp the cylinder head and coolant will leak into or out of the engine since there's no longer a perfect compression of the head gasket which is sandwiched between the engine block and cylinder head. 

Good Luck!

• CactiJoe
      4 weeks agoReport

Also, the radiator electric cooling fan or fans might not be coming on when the engine reaches X temperature. 

From the looks of that wiring harness connector it was never hooked up to anything. Many wiring harnesses on Asian cars are used in more then one application and it's not unusual to see a connector not being used.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

It could be the ECT sensor/switch connector.  If it is not connected, radiator fan will not turn on and engine will overheat.  On newer cars, a disconnected ECT sensor will turn the CEL On.  On older cars like yours,  it might not.