I received this letter from a debt collector. What does it mean?

Attachment image

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

It's an attempt to frighten you into paying up.  They are saying they are going to take you to court and they are offering you one last chance.

If you are in debt, and you don't dispute it, pay it back.  If you can't afford to pay back an undisputed debt, make them an offer to pay back part of it or so much a month.

However, the chances are that this is an old disputed debt that they have bought for a few cents in the dollar and they are trying it on in the hope that they'll make some money on the exercise.  If that's the case, write back saying the alleged debt is disputed and out of time.  If they would care to take you to court, you will defend the action vigorously and counterclaim for the nuisance they have caused.  That will get your file into the shredder.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If you owe the money then they are going to start Court proceedings. 

UK.

• 4 weeks ago

Sounds like a scam.

Scammers often send these out, hoping someone gullible will give them their credit card or banking info.  Don't.

Unless it's in regard to something you know you owe, I'd probably ignore it, or at most do some research to see if you ever had dealings with them.

• 4 weeks ago

i wouldnt worry, i dont see any name or address

• Tavy
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Because she has blanked it out.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Pay or they will sue you. Be sure to understand the law. The debt may be too old to collect. Any type of response indicating you owe the money can reset the clock.

• kelvin
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

it means that they are steps away from taking legal actions against you

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.