Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 2 months ago

Why is my daughter being sneaky. Why can’t she tell me the truth?

My daughter is 23 living with us while she attends college. This morning I saw her about to leave without saying anything and I was like “ where you going” and she was like “ got to give my boyfriend his birthday gift” and I was like “ you saw him yesterday why didn’t you give it to him yesterday.” And she was like “ I forgot. I’ll be back” and then I look out the window and I see her walking towards a car I never saw before. It was not her boyfriends car. She got in the car and the car was there for about an hour because I was looking at the window watching her. Why did she lie that was definitely not her boyfriends car. When she got back in the house I was like “ why were waking towards that car and why you were sitting in the car for an hour. I thought you just had to give your boyfriend his gift. And why did he park all the way at the end of the street” and she was like “ we wanted to talk in private. I cannot believe you’re sitting here stalking me.”

She’s 23, not 13, she’s considered an adult, what she does isn’t your business, yes she may still live at home, but she’s not a little girl anymore 

Leave her alone she is 23 and she can do whatever she wants and go wherever she wants legally. You sound very overbearing.

She can tell you the truth, but she chooses not to.  Now her decision to not confide in you is more reflective on your interactions with her.  So why do you think your daughter feels the need to have private conversations away from you?

Gosh, just let the girl blow her BF.

Why is your 23 year old daughter having to answer to you for her every move and inclination? It's like 50 questions before noon! Why is she being so closely observed and under inquisition?

You are fearful for her? Is it time she moved out? It is unusual for a 23 year old woman to answer to her Mom for her every move in my culture.

• Jerry

She is 23...she may be living at home, but she's an adult and you're treating her like a teenager.

• Iambi

I think you are trying to control her she needs her space to make mistakes and figure out what she wants to do without you interfering. If she wants advice she should ask you if not maybe you have been to overprotective in the past.

likely her other boyfriend

It seems obvious to me that your daughter is no longer a child but you have no problem invading her privacy as though she is. That is the reason that she lies to you. In this case, you are certainly partially to blame, in my opinion. She may be doing something you would not approve of but if she is that is her business. I suggest if you want her to behave like an adult you should start treating her like one!

nosy mom of the year goes too------you!