Can a french speaker translate and break down this sentence for me? ?

"Je ne me le lui y en lave pas"

Thanks.  

• Pontus
    Favorite Answer

It's not grammatically correct.  

le - is a direct object (him or it)

lui - is an indirect object (to him // to her)

me - is reflexive (myself / to myself) - it has to function as either a direct or an indirect object.  That means there are either two indirect objects or two direct objects in front of the verb.  That doesn't happen in proper French. 

y - replaces expressions that start with the equivalents of at/to/in etc (means: to it / to them/ in it / in them/ there etc).  It therefore might also be an indirect object, which again cannot be. 

en - replaces expressions of quantity (meaning: some, any etc) or expresions starting with the equivalent of from/of (meaning from it, from them, away, etc).  It might be a direct object as well, which can't be. 

je = I  (no problem there)

lave = wash (no problem there, present tense, matches with JE). 

It makes no sense as is (unless it's a slang thing that deliberately uses bad grammar). I suspect it was either not written by a native speaker, or it was copied wrong (or they were simply tired and made a few mistakes). 

It does NOT mean (I don't wash it for him). 

To say that, using those words, it would be:  Je ne le lui lave pas.  However, it would be normal to say: Je ne le lave pas pour lui (pour lui - instead of "lui", or pour elle - for her--, instead of lui). 

Adding ME is not possible and still mean (I don't wash it for him), and then LUI would have to go.  

Having more than two personal pronouns in front of the verb is possible, but rarely done.  It would be strange to add on Y or EN as well, and the meaning would be awkward.  (there, from there, etc). 

Note: instead of saying my/his/her with some verbs, like wash, the French will use "to me", "to him", "to her", but even those meanings aren't working with all those pronouns together. 

Example:  Je me lave les mains.  (I wash my hands, but literally: I (on me/ to me) was the hands. I wash them, becomes:  Je me les lave. I (on me) them wash. 

I wash his/her hands:  Je lui lave les mains. I (on him // on her) was the hands). 

Je les lui lave.  I wash hers/his.  I them (on her // on him) wash. 

If I wanted to say something like there or "in there" (the bathroom maybe), I could add "y".  Je les lui y lave.  (technically.  More than two object pronouns in a row though, often sounds weird. 

As is, the sentence given is not grammatically correct and has no meaning. 

Source(s): taught French; native English speaker. studied linguistics etc for my degree.
    • Robert1 month agoReport

Excellent thorough answer

From me as a native French person, this phrase has zero meaning. It is not even in slang. 

A direct translation is

"I don't wash it for him"

but it is possible that it has a slang meaning such as I do not do what he asks. Hopefully a real French speaker will answer.