Can a 2004 Honda Accord 2.4 Ex pass California smog being a federal car ?

My check engine turned on and I took it to autozone where they told that I needed to replace the catalyst converter . I took it to a shop where then they told me that they didn’t know if they could replace it simply because it’s emission was (Federal) meaning they didn’t know if they could put a California type or strictly had to be bought at a Honda Dealer.

Your car is a CA exempt emissions car.  You can put either one but a CA exempt cat converter will be cheaper.  It is best to put an OEM cat converter in the car and avoid aftermarket cat converters.

Before installing a cat converter, see a mechanic with a dealer level scanner to check if you really need a cat converter.  Car might just have an exhaust leak or the rear O2 sensor is bad. 

And yes, your car will pass the smog test even if it is a Federal car.

The only kind of cat you can put on is "California" approved, any other will not work well enough to satisfy OBDII standards and keep the check engine light from coming on again.