Anonymous

Should I get two associates degrees? ?

So I am going to school for digital communications and media studies. They have two streams in the second year: Journalism and Advertising and Broadcast.I want to take the advertising stream. Then I want to go get a transfer to a different college to study advertising and marketing for two years. I will have three years into the advertising field, not to mention employers will hire me more likely since I have two associates degrees. Is it a good idea?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Expat
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

No. I'd get the associates' degree and then transfer into a university and complete the bachelor's. Why get 2 associates' degrees when you could complete the 4 year degree? Doesn't make sense.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Laurie
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Unless they are in an applied field - meaning you can get a license or employable certification at the end of it - associate degrees are mostly worthless. Just take the classes you need for the four year degree - and do your best to confirm the credit will indeed transfer (not all credits do) - and then transfer.

In addition, if you are receiving financial aid, be careful. There is a cap on the amount of lower-level (freshman and sophomore) credits allowed by financial aid.

Furthermore, most four-year schools will not apply more than 60 semester credit hours toward a bachelors degree.

• 4 weeks ago

No. An associate's degree in a different subject than your bachelor's degree might be considered in the same light as a minor: pretty much meaningless as far as employment is concerned. 

There are only a few circumstances in which it might come in handy (for example, an AA or minor in Spanish might boost a career in some fields, such as Social Work).

Just go to your local community college (-not- a for-profit college), take your general education classes and the introductory classes you need for the advertising/marketing major. Speak to the transfer advisor at your community college to make sure you're taking the correct classes for the four-year university you would like to attend. There will be an "articulation agreement" and a "transfer agreement" between the community college and state public universities, so you can be sure to take the classes you need. 

• 4 weeks ago

Dumb idea. Media, communications, etc, are glamour occupations with loads of competition, and all the serious players have a minimum of a bachelor's degree, often a master's degree. Stop playing around with minor leagues. In the time it takes to earn two associate's, you could earn a bachelor's, with higher level, more demanding, and more credible coursework than that at any community college.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

U probably stick your fingers up your butt

• 4 weeks ago

As the 2 associates give you more training in your particular field, it is a very good idea.

• Yood4 weeks agoReport

Thank you I was thinking the same thing 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.