Anonymous

Should I get two associates degrees? ?

So I am going to school for digital communications and media studies. They have two streams in the second year: Journalism and Advertising and Broadcast.I want to take the advertising stream. Then I want to go get a transfer to a different college to study advertising and marketing for two years. I will have three years into the advertising field, not to mention employers will hire me more likely since I have two associates degrees. Is it a good idea?

• Expat

No. I'd get the associates' degree and then transfer into a university and complete the bachelor's. Why get 2 associates' degrees when you could complete the 4 year degree? Doesn't make sense.

• Laurie

Unless they are in an applied field - meaning you can get a license or employable certification at the end of it - associate degrees are mostly worthless. Just take the classes you need for the four year degree - and do your best to confirm the credit will indeed transfer (not all credits do) - and then transfer.

In addition, if you are receiving financial aid, be careful. There is a cap on the amount of lower-level (freshman and sophomore) credits allowed by financial aid.

Furthermore, most four-year schools will not apply more than 60 semester credit hours toward a bachelors degree.

No. An associate's degree in a different subject than your bachelor's degree might be considered in the same light as a minor: pretty much meaningless as far as employment is concerned. 

There are only a few circumstances in which it might come in handy (for example, an AA or minor in Spanish might boost a career in some fields, such as Social Work).

Just go to your local community college (-not- a for-profit college), take your general education classes and the introductory classes you need for the advertising/marketing major. Speak to the transfer advisor at your community college to make sure you're taking the correct classes for the four-year university you would like to attend. There will be an "articulation agreement" and a "transfer agreement" between the community college and state public universities, so you can be sure to take the classes you need. 

Dumb idea. Media, communications, etc, are glamour occupations with loads of competition, and all the serious players have a minimum of a bachelor's degree, often a master's degree. Stop playing around with minor leagues. In the time it takes to earn two associate's, you could earn a bachelor's, with higher level, more demanding, and more credible coursework than that at any community college.

U probably stick your fingers up your butt

As the 2 associates give you more training in your particular field, it is a very good idea.

• Yood4 weeks agoReport

Thank you I was thinking the same thing