dan asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Pug vs boston terrier ?

I am thinking of getting a pup and I'm not sure which breed to go with. I had a pug that recently died from old age at 15 years. I am thinking of getting another but I have also been considering boston terrier as they seem to have similar traits. I have never had any interaction with a bost terrier. Which do you think would make a better pet? Also can Boston terriers swim? My pug couldn't swim very well at all. Thanks

Neither thx as both are brachyphelmic breeds

• *****

Neither is inherently a "better pet", it just depends on what you want in your pet. Pugs are exclusively a companion breed. They were bred to be companions to humans, and that's it. Very people-oriented, eager to please, generally not very smart, low energy. Boston Terriers are a terrier breed. They are a lot more active, higher prey drive, more tenacity, smarter, more stubborn. They tend to be quite social with people, but particularly males can be dog aggressive. Most will happily chase down and kill small animals. Pugs are double-coated, so shed a little more than Bostons. Bostons tend to have a little longer muzzle and less breathing issues than Pugs, but are more active, so getting them the exercise they need in hot weather is challenging. Neither breed would be a good swimmer, due to their compact bodies they tend to sink like rocks. If you want a dog that enjoys water, you'll need to look elsewhere.

Neither, both breeds need to be culled, especially the pug. Both are really unhealthy and cant breathe well.

Neither one appeals to me. Both have the smashed in face, Brachycephalic obstructive airway syndrome (BOAS) plus they are very small dogs. For those two reasons I wouldn't have either one. There are large breed dogs with the same problem & I would not want one of those either.

A pet is what you make by training.