Starting new job.. when should I tell my employer I’m pregnant?

Starting my new job at CVS Health today. Manager really likes me and basically hired me on the spot during the interview among many candidates. He’s really chill, but I’m worried about when I should break the news that I am 20 weeks pregnant. I really like the job honestly, and find it to be fun (from what I’ve experienced in training) and my pregnancy won’t negatively affect my performance or work ethic. Any other words of advice/tips much appreciated. 

• Katie

You should have told them at the start of the interview.

In a lot of companies you have got to be in a job full time (35+ hours) for a minimum of a year to qualify for maternity leave.

You should be honest so they don't hire you and can find someone that will be reliable and won't use pregnancy as an excuse to not work.

• Judy

If they haven't already figured it out, will be obvious pretty soon. Would be good to mention asap. How much time minimum do you plan to take off?

They need to know. They will be needing to cover your shifts when you're out on maternity leave. The longer you wait the harder it's going to be.

• Congrats on both the job and the baby. If any health issues come up because of your pregnancy, you should tell your boss you're pregnant. You should have told them in the interview. You may think that now, but if you experience any symptoms of pregnancy that can affect your job, such as calling off too much because you're feeling nauseous for no reason or having other symptoms that may prevent you from doing your job then they can fire you.

If you're showing, then your boss would either assume you're pregnant or that you've gained weight. Most employers don't care about weight issues, but if you have to go on maternity leave early in your employment they may care more about that.

• n2mama

Sooner is better than later, because you will need to have some time off to give birth. If you are just starting this job you won’t qualify for FMLA, so the only way you will have a job to come back to is if he works with you to accommodate it. Realistically, you have about four and a half months to work before you will need time off. How much time were you planning to take off when the baby comes? Assuming no complications, a couple of weeks? It is unlikely he would train you for four months to then let you take three months off. Good luck.

You have already started off on a wrong foot. You've misrepresented yourself during the interviews. And the longer you delay in telling the mgr about your condition, the worse it'll get for you because in the end the mgr will see for themselves.

Sorry...honesty is still the best policy.

• bobby

If you are 20 weeks pregnant already it should already be obvious to him that you are,  but it would be in your best interest if you did tell him.  

• Most people do not show until 28 weeks with their first child.   I  did not show until I was at 34 weeks because I never pigged out.

You should. Even if it doesnt affect your job now, it will later. Not all pregnancies make to do scheduled date for induced labor. You're going to reach a point where for a few days you wont be at work due to giving birth. They need to know about this. 

Depending on what your job is, depends on how I'd tell them. If it's an office job where you sit in a cubical all day, I wouldnt bother because theyll see your tummy when you show more. If it's a job where you're hands on like a doctors office assistant, then you definitely should make a point to casually bring It up. Dont seek them out. Like, I got an ultrasound yesterday for my baby, want to see? That's how I'd do it because you being pregnant shouldnt have any bearing on you being hired so just walking up to them and saying, btw I'm pregnant... is weird... 

*I* wouldn't say anything, until you are showing / it is obvious.

• bobby
      4 weeks agoReport

If she is 20 weeks pregnant,  it should already be obvious.