Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 4 weeks ago

Why do taxi drivers hate card payments ?

So I get into a cab and it says I can pay with a variety of payment options but when I present my contactless card to the driver they always have a grudge at me for not having cash. 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

The fact that they have to pay a % to the bank as a service fee does not help their overall financial situation as most cabbies in the U.S. are currently underpaid after deducting their expenses.

• 4 weeks ago

They don't get to keep as much of the money. There are fees to the bank, and the amount of the charge is recorded so they can't lie about it on their taxes. With cash, they don't pay any bank fee, and they can lie about it to cheat on their taxes.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

Too many cards are stolen. Cash is always better.

• thomas4 weeks agoReport

I agree but when the meter has gone over a certain amount that you realise you haven’t got enough cash, you instead use your card.  

• bobby
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Because he has to pay a fee for each card used.  

• ...Show all comments
    • bobby
      Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

Thomas,  Yes he provided the service,  but when he is paid with a credit card,  the card company charges him a fee.  Yes, it's stupid,  I agree,  it's nothing but a rip off and should be made illegal.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • John
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Because the card processing company keeps 2 to 3 percent of the monies earned by the driver as a processing fee.  For small businessmen, who are usually operating on an already slim profit margin, that is a good sized amount.

Card processing scumbags. 

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Cards charge fees, that is why. He has to pay for each card used.

• 4 weeks ago

Credit cards charge 2+ percent fees..

• Goerge
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

UMmmmm maybe you can be nice next time and present him with cash.

Uh yeah except when the meter says $32 and I only have $30 cash. It’s not like you know how much the fare will be. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.