In 1905 Norway asked a Danish prince to become their King. How would Canadians feel about doing something similar with Prince Harry?

Update:

Clo has the best answer so far, but because he has blocked me, he gets a down vote.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I spend a lot of time in Canada and haven't yet found a single Canadian who's excited about having Harry and Meghan there. This includes some people who've worked with Meghan on the 'Suits' series.

• Ozzie Klunk
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

Can you reveal those names?

• Login to reply the answers
  • lynda
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Don't think so. As a Canadian we don't need King Harry. Ever.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The sovereign is the personification of the Canadian state and is Queen of Canada as a matter of constitutional law. The current Canadian monarch and head of state is Queen Elizabeth II, who has reigned since 6 February 1952. However, the Queen is the only member of the Royal Family with any constitutional role.

Blocked for being so rude and reporting me.  How can Harry be King when his Gran is Queen.

• Ozzie Klunk
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

Down voted and reported because you didn't attempt to answer the question

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I suppose they legally could, but for what purpose? They already have a monarch, Queen Elizabeth, who is the Queen of Canada. Canada deciding on a different line of succession when they already have a Queen makes absolutely no sense.

A number of countries, known as the Commonwealth Realms share a monarch with the United Kingdom, though technically the crown is a separate entity in each country: including Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, and a number of others. Because the monarch is not resident in any of these countries, they appoint a Governor General, whose role it is to be the monarch's representative in that country, and to do what the Queen would otherwise do, eg. swear in parliaments, appoint governments and prime ministers, make official visits to other countries as a head of state etc.

There has been talk of appointing Prince Harry as Governor General of Canada, which apparently 60% of Canadians support. This is not unprecedented, in the 1910s Prince Arthur (7th child of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert) was Governor General of Canada, and in the 1940s Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester was Governor General of Australia. That could be a good solution, but that would mean that they have to fulfil lots of official duties (which it seems Meghan and Harry didn't like doing much), and as it's an apolitical post, Meghan would need to learn to keep quiet about politics.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Rico
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

They already have member of the British Royal Family in the position of Queen of Canada.

• I can't understand why Canadians would want a monarch at all, let alone why they want to borrow someone else's monarch.

• Anonymous1 month agoReport

They already have a monarch: the Queen of Canada, so you better start understanding.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I am  hearing    Harry and MM  are not wanted   in Canada  at all

• 1 month ago

Great idea!!!!

However, I don't think Meghan would approve, because it means formalities of royalty, also she wants to go and live in the USA ,when 'Donald' is no longer President.

• Clo
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The Canadians aren't thinking about this. They are already a monarchy, something that Norway was not until a referendum cemented the choice to become one as opposed to becoming a republic. Prince Carl, later Haakon VII , was chosen by a Norwegian November plebescite to become Norway's first independent monarch since 1387. Norway and Sweden had been a united monarchy until peacefully ending the union in 1905, Norway chosing to remain a monarchy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1905_Norwegian_monar...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haakon_VII_of_Norway

The succession is set. Elizabeth II is the current monarch, and future monarchs are Charles, William, and George.

• Carson
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

They have "Lucky Pierre" why would they want Harry.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.