Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCruise Travel · 1 month ago

Should I visit the U.K., France, Italy, and Germany separately or on cruises?

Favorite Answer

Separately. On cruises, you get less than a day in each port, and the ports are not usually the places you want to see. For example, from the Baltic cruise, you stop in a minor port, and can then ride in a bus for several hours to get a glimpse of Berlin. What you can do is take a cruise, but spend a few days in the country that the cruise leaves from to see more of it. We did that when we were leaving from Rome. I've spent weeks at a time in the UK and in France- in Paris and the southern coast- and barely scratched the surface of seeing and doing things. 

We have gone on 4 Mediterreanan cruises. We stayed at the start and the end to visit that area. On a cruise, its true you get a "sample" but you also get more of a feel of which country draws you the most to go back and stay longer. I've visited all the ones you have mentioned longer. too, on separate trips with France being my favorite, btw.  

One other tip, you can ask a lot of people but you need to go to what seems to pull you the most. We made the mistake of going to New Zealand because everyone said it was so wonderful. While it is beautiful, it just wasn't for us. Later we realized that they were all "outdoorsy" and hikers, and we are not. Go with what you think will appeal to you the most! Hope this helps! Whatever you do, it will be wonderful!

• Den B7

No... visit them all at the same time.

For those particular countries, separately.  A cruise is great to visit various countries in the Med, but the only French port is Nice.  There are numerous Italian ports.  I did a Med cruise, and it was cool as I could never have afforded to visit Barcelona, Nice, Florence, Rome, Naples, Mykonos, and Ephesus separately.  However, I really enjoyed my time in Barcelona, so I have am eastern Spanish coast land vacation planned for this spring.  Last year, I did a land vacation in Portugal and Spain, and I went to the Azores this past fall.  

Cruises are a great way to get the flavor of a country, but a genuine experience requires a land vacation. 

Visit them separately. You'll have more time to see and do things in country and more flexibility on where you can go.

Separately. Take your time.