Tenant Slammed Into Garage Door?

Tenant has destroyed garage door. Estimate I got was $1,000. She refused to pay to replace it and now says her Insurance Company will pay but will take a long time. How does this work and what do i need to do.

Still not  knowing what to do here here. Tenant reuses to give me her insurance information & sent an E-Mail and said she reported it and adjuster will come out.  i don't want to contact her any more or send E-Mails or have any contact with her.I don't trust her since she says I am harassing her & next time I deliver a letter to post on her door to bring a witness. There wasn't even any discussion....wonder what a management company would do?This girl has some serious issues going on.

What do you do if its been a month or more and tenant gives excuses about fixing the garage door she smashed into with her car? I have given her two Notices to take care of the damages. One 7 day Notice and one 5 day Notice and she is telling me to stop harassing her. Her lease is up the end of June. Not sure you can Evict or not & she says she contacted an adjuster (been a month now) She has been a problem since day one. She said she is prepared to go to court if necessary. No insurance info..

You get three estimates, for proof, and then have the repairs done and send her the bill. If she doesn't pay, you may sue her personally.

You cannot generally evict a person simply because they owe you for damages. An eviction is an "equitable remedy" available where "money damages" won't suffice.

If she moves out at the end of the lease, you may also be able to claim any unpaid damages against whatever "security deposit" she may have given you, as long as you do it properly, according to your state laws (i.e., in writing, within the time limit, etc).

• J.J.4 weeks agoReport

I am sure she will not be giving me a forwarding address to dothat since she refuses to give me her new employment address or her insurance contact.

My insurance company said my deductible is way more than a garage door. Door is $1,000 & my deductible is $1,800. It been going on a month and now she is say she will contact her insurance company. I posted another letter on her door and gave her 5 days to correct the damages or I would file an Eviction and now she is saying I am harrrassing her. She said she will contact her attorney.

Check with your state law.  I doubt that a damaged garage door is a legitimate reason for eviction.  Google "landlord tenant law" and your state's name for details.

• Nuff Sed
      4 weeks agoReport

You hire your own attorney and sue her immediately. Whether she has insurance is her problem.

• Judy

How long is "a long time"? Shouldn't be over a couple weeks. Report it to YOUR insurance company and let them deal with it. Has she even reported it to HER insurance?

• Nuff Sed
      4 weeks agoReport

Give her notice that she has 14 days to pay it - in full.  However, if it's only been a week or two at most since the damage happened, give her 30 days to pay.  Otherwise, evict her.  Tell her that she can still claim it on her insurance.  She needs to pay you and she can claim it from her insurance company.

• Nuff Sed
      4 weeks agoReport

You can be instantly sued for attempting to evict a tenant for something that is not a violation of the lease or state laws.

• R2D4

file a claim with your insurance

• J.J.4 weeks agoReport

My deductable is $2,000, Way more than a gargare door.

Fix it, then demand she pay it.  If she doesn't pay it in 30 days, or so, then evict her for nonpayment of damages.  Her insurance may, or may not, end up paying this but its up to her to collect from them and up to you to collect from her.

• J.J.4 weeks agoReport

If I fix it she will not and the chances are she will do it again with her drinking problem.

Yo fix it, and then if her insurance does not pay, you get it form her.

just forgive her a bit.(Then punish!).

• J.J.4 weeks agoReport

Are you a landlord?

• Lolly

Contact your homeowners insurance. The insurance companies deal with each other.