Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 4 weeks ago

which cpu is better?

Intel Xeon E5450

AMD Phenom 9550

for some light office work, web browsing and older games

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Ahhhh, the good old Xeon e5450. Are you looking at a modded version to put on a socket 775 motherboard?

People might not like the answer but the Xeon e5450 is nearly the same as the Core 2 Quad q9650. The 45nm Core 2 processors had slightly better IPC than the Phenom II processors, but the Phenom II processors had higher out of the box clock speeds which evened things out. You're not asking about a Phenom II..... you're asking about a Phenom 1 CPU which wasn't very good to begin with. The e5450 is the clear winner here.

IMO, you're better off looking for a Core i5-2400 or Core i5-2500 setup.... Or maybe a Xeon E3-1220 or 1230 which is based off 2nd Gen Sandy Bridge architecture. The Core i5-2400 is worth a measly $18 on ebay but it runs circles around the processors you mentioned. YKan pointed out instruction sets being something to look at and the 2nd Gen Core i series supports all modern instruction sets. I think you'd get more for your money with this.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

The Phenom doesn't support all of the latest instruction sets such as AVX which is important for some games these days.

• Dze
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

the cheaper one unless you run apps that can actually use extreme processing power like video editing etc ..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.