What happens after a restraining order ends?

I'm asking for a friend, he plans to reach out to an ex wife of his just apologizing for putting her through hell. She had a restraining order against him that expired. I suggest he doesn't but he said it would be fine? Legally, is he at any risk?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happens when a restraining order expires. Unless the order is extended by the court, it simply ceases to be enforced.

Unwanted contact COULD prompt the formerly protected party to seek a new order, but it isn't inherently illegal.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A complete idiot deserve everything he gets......... she will just renew the restraining order, she doesn't want him in her life and saying sorry benefits him and his idiot mentality, not hers.......... he is likely to be arrested and questioned by the police and they will help her/support her in renewing the restraining order

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

just like when a yeast infection ends, everything goes back to normal.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

He should leave her well alone, she will just get another restraining order against him, tell him to move on.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Legally he CAN contact her now. However, contact with her could be seen as aggressive posturing and if she's a total d!ck she could use it against him and potentially get another restraining order.

If he REALLY wants to contact her again it would probably be best to obtain legal counsel. At the very least a lawyer could act as an intermediary for a letter or something.

Obligatory "I am not a lawyer" warning, so take this advise as you will.

• ...Show all comments
    • STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Riley: For the purpose of this answer, his intend doesn't matter. What she believes is the issue.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.