Anonymous

Why are there so many accents in the UK?

How is that even possible when the UK is about the size of Florida. I’ve been to other countries in Europe like Germany where people in Bavaria don’t sound a whole lot different to those in northern different. Yes there are differences but the differences was nothing like comparing a cornish accent to a Newcastle/Scottish accent. 

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Because we've been speaking English here for 1600 years and our country is more densely populated than North America. Also, English is a combination of the dialects which were spoken by the Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Frisians who arrived here when Rome fell, and was also derived from Danish in the Midlands, and influenced by the Celtic languages spoken in the territories before English began to be spoken there.

I'm bilingual in English and German. I would say the variation in German is no smaller than that in English in these isles.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Accents and dialects developed over centuries when there were no trains or automobiles. In the dutch province Limburg - about a million inhabitants - linguists distinguish 550.

Standard-german is pretty similar across Germany, but local accents and dialects are not. Compare the .bav wikipedia to the .nds one and you'll notice that bavarian and lowersaxon are pretty much different languages

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.