Verulam 1 asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 1 month ago

Which of the losses do you think will upset Harry (never mind his wife) most, having to drop the HRH or Harry's military connections?

• Clo
    Favorite Answer

I think it is the military appointments. Harry loved being in the army and continuing to serve through the appointments. He  founded the Invictus Games to aid wounded warriors---the military means much to him. Harry has said that serving in the army allowed him to be a regular person. Harry has a history of not wanting to be the public face of royalty. I don't think that he minds being a prince, but he minds the attention that goes with the HRH.

The couple have not been stripped of the HRH, they just are not going to use it because they are  not official working royals and they need to create a distance between their independent financial endeavors and the official royal world.

• Losing the military connections must hurt like Hell. He loved his time in the Army and loved attending military events as a Royal, wearing uniforms and medals. In America, where I expect they will end up, people will call him HRH anyway. 

The 'HRH' title was probably the most marketable and contributed most to his status. It was his choice to withdraw from royal duties, which including some military roles but he may well have hoped to retain the 'HRH'. In reality, he HAS retained it but is not allowed to use it. I imagine he departs with mixed feelings but a well stuffed bank account and continuing financial support from Prince Charles .... so not really a private life in which they support themselves as they said they wanted.

• Verulam 1
      1 month agoReport

I think SPK, you'll find they are not allowed to use their HRH titles even if they have not been 'stripped' of this.   The choice to use the HRH is not their's to make.

• bobby

None of this will upset them,  it was their choice and decision,  they want live a normal independent life together,  can't blame them for that and it needs to be respected. 

• Cogito

All this is HIS and his wife's choice.  It's what they want.  And I completely understand.  The title doesn't mean much to him and his days in the forces are over anyway.  I don't believe he thinks of any of these things as 'losses' at all.  he's hopefully going to be gaining some normality, some privacy, real family life and the opportunity to be with his family.

• Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Just by not using the style of "HRH" will not change anything, in terms of privacy or normality.

The military connections, although I imagine he will still be involved with the Invictus Games.