In what decade where terrace 1900 houses mainly had back extensions built in the UK?

I have noticed a lot of terrace houses built in just in the UK at the turn of 20th century have extensions built at the back. These seem to be built later on as the brickwork on these houses is sometimes a different colour.

I'm guessing many of these houses were extended around the 50 or 60's?

• Maxi
    Favorite Answer

In the 1890s there were separate building regulations that applied to working class housing construction which meant an indoor toilet did not have to be included.

Of course, there was no dedicated "bathroom" either and most working class people used an old "tin tub" that was filled with water by hand. Many people in older properties had this kind of lifestyle continue right through to the mid-1960s! So 1965 onwards mainly 1970s as kitchen/bathroom extensions were built which is why you see single story extensions with downstair bathroom added onto the also extended kitchen

after wars, they needed to build cheap houses of brick better!

• Tavy

I would say the 70s when people had a bit more money, not the 50s as we were just recovering from the austerity of war.