Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 2 months ago

Moms, when did you start lactating?

I'll be 27 weeks on Tuesday and I still haven't started lactating. I even try to pull/squeeze on my nipples, but nothing comes out. When did you start and is it normal to not be lactating at 27 weeks? 

I've read plenty of forum posts where the ladies said they started leaking during pregnancy. I have not. That's what I mean. 

Favorite Answer

I began leaking sometime in week 20-something. Its not milk though, its colostrum. I produced a lot more in beginning but now im 38 weeks and it barely comes out. 

• Edna

A woman does NOT begin lactating until AFTER  she gives birth. I don't care what you've read on forum posts. Women do not begin lactating (or leaking) until AFTER she gives birth to a living child. The hormones in a woman's body after she gives birth are what causes her to begin lactating. 

For heaven's sake - stop pulling/squeezing on your nipples; you're just going to make them sore. Nothing is SUPPOSED to 'come out' until after you've given birth.

• Completely normal. Some people do start to lactate during pregnancy but it’s absolutely normal not to. When baby is born their stomach will be super tiny - the size of an olive, so at first you’ll only produce the tiniest amount (this is called colostrum), then after a few days your milk will ‘come in’ and you’ll probably be a little sore while you get into a feeding routine, or until your milk dries up if you don’t choose to breastfeed. I’d definitely recommend reading up so you know what to expect- the Bump and Babycenter have some great resources. 

• LizB

You don't start producing milk until a couple of days after the baby is born. Any liquid you see before then is just colostrum, which some women can excrete even when not pregnant. The fact that you're not leaking any while pregnant means absolutely nothing, and has nothing to do with your future milk production.

Birth triggers lactation.  Not pregnancy. 

It wont  happen until after baby is born so stop stressing

• MissA

Normally the delivery of the placenta is what triggers milk production. Aka... the birth. Particularly in a first-time mother.

You could possibly stand to read up on this before you have your baby because it sounds like breastfeeding might end up as rather startling to you if you don't.

Milk production is triggered after birth, not before.