Anonymous

Can you have mild autism?

Before I say anything- I know I need to see a professional but I am unable to right now and just looking for some genuine answers. I am a female, 26 years old. The more I study about females on the spectrum the more I feel I am. It would answer so many questions regarding how I grew up. I have had multiple psychological diagnosis’s and many females with autism did before they were diagnosed. I also have dyspraxia . When it comes to social interactions- I am very good one on one. When it comes to more people I struggle and once it hits a group of people (more than 5 or 6) it is very hard for me. I do a lot of what they call “selective mutism” . The only thing that confuses me is that I have a pretty good understanding of theory of the mind- I am also very intuitive and have a pretty high EQ (emotional intelligence) but I also know that females on the spectrum are known to be pretty empathetic. I pretty much fall into all the traits of it but again even though in person I might not be the best at communicating, I’m pretty good at reading people as in their personality- but I do miss some social cues and have been confused in social situations. So I am just pretty confused- what do you think? Can someone have mild autism? 

yes, a lot of people can have autism so mild that it is never diognosed

We should cleanse the gene pool of all weaker creatures especially the retards 

of course some people have 'mild' autism.  google famous people with autism.  most of them have 'mild' symptoms to the point no one would know if they didn't tell.

some people with autism go to college, have good careers, get married, and have kids.

"The more I study about females on the spectrum"

"Can you have mild autism?"

You answer yourself. And I'm not being facetious in this observation. A spectrum means there are multiple options/values available. You can have less blue or more blue on a spectrum measuring the presence of blue color (such as with TVs and computer monitors). Likewise, you can have less autism or more autism on a spectrum measuring the presence of autism.

----

The important thing, however, is..."You do you, boo."

• Yes. Autism primarily is labeled at 3 levels. But males and females present quite differently. People often miss or dispute female autism as it looks so much different. I am 65. And never been diagnosed with it, but I am sure I have it.  I have multiple degrees that give me expertise in it.  Mild autism makes most women atypical but not disabled, that is not to say it is not a disability, just not disabling. Most women with mild autism learn to structure their lives in ways that make their autism  reasonably livable. I know many female college professors with it.  Also a few computer programmers.