How many different ethnicities are there?

Favorite Answer

24.5-------------------

• Zirp

YOUR ethnicity is the language and culture YOU were raised in.

Since there are about 7000 languages still alive, that means the amount of ethnicities must be even higher, maybe even a multiple of 7000.

There are about 20 million people who have Dutch as native language, but as soon as I speak it, millions of Dutch will immediately hear which half-million I belong to

• Gone Galt1 month agoReport

My ethnicity is the language & culture I was raised in? So everyone born & raised in America who speaks English is American only? Then why do we have so many boxes to check on all those forms to ask what ethnicity we are?

Ethnicity is a social concept, it's not related with biology, and it's not really scientific. It's just a way to classify people, a bit like books can be classified in a library.

You can define as many ethnicity or social group you want, if you think this classification useful. So infinite number is the answer.

Ethnicity is not a way to analyze a single person. You can't say what a human is by classify him in a category or an other.

• Gone Galt1 month agoReport

Then why do we have so many boxes to check on all the forms to ask us our ethnicity if it does not matter?