Logan asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 month ago

My debit card got declined while prepraying for gas but they still charged me?

I tried to PREPAY for $30 in gas. I had $49.50 on my card. It declined twice but i have a pending charge of $49.70 on my card.... Did they steal money from me?

No, the pending charge will fall off in 2 business days. I don't see how the $49.70 even showed up. Should have been rejected because your balance is 20 cents less. The cashier must have did something wrong.

• Erik

If it says "pending", and you didn't actually pump any gas, there is a 90% chance the charge will just disappear in a few days.

No. A "pending" charge means that they did not take any money from you. When buying gas, they put on a "pending" charge temporarily, before you pump the gas, and then after you finish, they put on a charge for the actual amount of gas you bought, if any, and then a few days later, they undo the pending charge. With a gas purchase, "pending" means that they don't get that money and you get back the money, soon.

• John1 month agoReport

No.  You won't get any money "back," because no money has actually left your account, so there is nothing to get back.  It is simply being put on hold for a few days waiting for the transaction to post--which won't ever happen.  So the money will simply stop being held.

• marty

When you use a card at the pump it automatically reserves $50 then it will replace the difference when they batch at the end of the day. It. The pending charge will be credited back to you soon.

• Never
      1 month agoReport

It may depend on the card, mine always does $99. But $50 does not equal $49.70 anyway so that number was just plucked out of air.

• Jess

I assume you mean your credit card, as a debit card would just take the money straight out of your bank account when you pay. I don't think it wouldn't say pending. Did you use this card any other time that day? Maybe it's a charge from the day before that hasn't been added to your statement yet? If you're still not sure, call your bank/credit card company.

• Never
      1 month agoReport

My debit card does a $99 charge when I pay at the pump with it. Then the $99 quickly falls off and is replaced with the actual gas purchase. But this guys pending charge will take longer as its not the same thing. It will be good by wed.