Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 4 weeks ago

Reconsidering Engineering Major because of Calc 2?

For anyone who majored in engineering, how much harder does it get past the weed out classes? I am in Calc 2 and it is very difficult and it is making me wonder whether or not engineering is meant for me. I'm willing to put the work in an do as much practice as I can, but it just makes me worry about the future and whether how much harder it gets from Calc 2. I once heard someone say Calc 2 was harder than any of their engineering classes, but I don't know how true that is. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I had to take two more math classes beyond Cal-2.  Cal-3 was worse than Cal-2 and differential equations was worse that both combined.  JMHO of course.  The good news is that unless you're planning on going into research, it's an almost certainty that you'll never need to use any of that crap in your working life.  

I'm not familar with 'calc 2'.

It's been many years since I went through engineering. First year calculus wasn't that bad. Further math courses were hard but I didn't do bad till we hit 2nd order differential equations of the non-standard types.  I, and pretty much everyone in my class, struggled with that course but most of us managed to squeak through it but virtually no one aced it.  That was the point I realized I had gone about as far in math as I was going to.

• Nick4 weeks agoReport

I heard differential equations was also a tough class for many people. I guess putting in the work and trying your best in any of these math courses is the only thing to do.

I found it does not matter much what your classes and degree were.  What is more important is that you have trained your mind to think and learn quickly and effectively.  Then you can pursue most any job type and even a career position.