Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 month ago

I say raise the resteraunt prices by 20% and be done with tipping ?

There's something extremely awkward about guilting someone into dishing out money they're not legally required to dish out

I say stay at home, watch reruns of The Flintstones and Threes Company , and eat frozen food.

• Scott

What eats at me is an industry where workers are paid well below minimum wage and rely on customer gratuities to make a decent wage. Pay them a good wage, raise prices if needed and make tipping a reward for excellent service rather than a requirement.

I don't support MANDATING such a change. I DO support paying the staff as if tips didn't exist and making any tips ACTUALLY between the customer and the server. That means neither the employer or the tax authority even know a tip was given/received.

No, make it unlawful to pay anyone less than minimum wage and let businesses decide how much to pay and how much to charge.

Good thing you are not in charge of such things. But a small number so something similar. Most will not.

• Erik

That's never going to happen, so just tip, or stop eating out.  I never feel awkward about it, and most people don't either.

• danxp2

The 20 % increase would go to the owner not the server, the main point of the tip is to go to the server bypassing owners. You would need to increase wages significantly to offset lost tips which would increase costs a lot more then 20 %. Now if you want to institute a 20 o% service fee for a server to bring food and take orders at all sit down restaurants, which would make it a defacto tip, that is required to go to servers that is something else. Many places already do this for groups of 6 or more. 

Also life is not about implementing plans so you do not have to feel awkward for a few seconds every time you go out to eat.