Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 3 months ago

Should I bring my kitten back to the shelter?

I recently got a kitten and I was so excited to! I adopted her and brought her home. She is adorable. I have been suffering with diagnosed panic disorder for months. I thought that she would help me and I would be able to give her a great home. I do absolutely love her, but for some reason I have been so much more anxious since I got her. I constantly feel like I’m about to have a panic attack and I am very nauseous. My roommate’s dog and the kitten don’t get along sometimes and the kitten seems stressed In the environment sometimes. I just keep telling myself I can tell people that in order to justify bringing her back. I feel like a terrible person for bringing her back and even though I thought about getting a cat for months, and have had them in the past, I just don’t know if I can do it. I also feel like I will be judged by my whole family. What do you think I should do? Am I a terrible person?

• Ocimom

Take the kitten back.  While pets can bring comfort, its wrong to adopt a pet thinking it will fix your mental issues.

• Ken S

Realizing that you are not ready for a 20 year responsibility and bringing her back while she is at the age where she most likely will get adopted makes you a good person not a terrible one.

• PR

You could either take the kitten back to the shelter, or you could find a good family for the kitten on your own. Kittens are hard to find, right now in areas where it is cold, so you should not have trouble. 

Find someone who has had animals before and thinks your kitten is adorable. Charge a minimum of $35 for the kitten.

You can also take the kitten to an animal rescue league (at pet supply stores on weekends). Just bring the kitten there and ask for them to take her.

It shouldn't matter what other people think. This is your own decision, for your own life. Your family should mind their own business.

If you decide to find a new home for the kitten, you could then help at an animal rescue league. Offer to foster a cat or dog, or help in other ways. At a shelter, you can walk dogs, pet the cats, etc. 

Additionally, consider what might be causing the panic attacks. Do you consume a lot of caffeine? If so, cut that back greatly. Do you suffer from atrial fibrillation? This is a form of irregular heat beat, skipped beats, pounding heart, etc. This can cause panic episodes and you should go to a cardiologist if you suspect this.

But, in managing your own life, you need to do what you think makes sense for YOU. This does not include what someone else would do, but what works for you. Of course, with friends, people talk with one another and find reasonable solutions for things, but others should not be offering judgment on you and your life. 

Consider taking a speech class or a drama class. These help express yourself and get in front of others, along with the preparation taught in the classes. It helped me in getting past being too shy in front of others.

• Jack H

Take her back ASAP. It's not your fault, but both the dog and the cat will be picking up on your anxiety, you need help, not a pet...

DEFINITELY give it back. You've got WAY too many issues to be a pet owner. Get into therapy and on meds.

If you're a adult you should't give a damn what your parents think. Grow up.

bring the kitten back before the dog eats it. also the kitten does not deserve to live in stress and fear

There is no such thing as "panic disorder".

• Jen

Uh, yes there is, Doctor. It is constant anxiety and panic attacks, I've had it and it's hell.