i was going to see to see if there was a pill i could take instead of this nasty stuff for a colonoscopy?

i have to have a colonoscopy done and they gave me liquid i cant take that i will be gaging please help im looking to see if there is a pill i could get somewhere.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Sky
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Actually, yes there is a pill.  The last time my mom had a colonoscopy they prescribed some pills to take to get the waterworks flowing.  It requires drinking a lot of fluids to replace the water lost, but at least it can be water or juice and isn't that gallon of laxative any more.  Check with the doctor for alternatives in a pill form.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Golytely? No pill can equal the power that has to clean out the GI tract...

Source(s): nurse
  • TedEx
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I discussed this with my gastroenterologist  some time ago. There are several preps available, but none approach that liquid in doing a thorough job of cleaning you out. Grin and bear it

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Nope, you get to drink a gallon that stuff.  It's the only way to clean out the colon sufficiently.  Sorry, it's not fun I know.

• TedEx
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

I wish they would come out with bud light flavored 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Take what your doctor told you to take, but dulcolax and miralax have basically no flavor.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You can ask your doctor if there's an alternate that's acceptable. A "pill" might be effective in some cases (a patient who's not been eating for several days and also gets an enema), but it's not quite enough in most of them.

Maybe there's another type of liquid you can take that you'd tolerate better. None of them taste great, though. Magnesium citrate is probably the least offensive. It might also be worthwhile to take something for nausea.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.