What if a company sent a lower receiver WITHOUT going through FFL?

Lets say a reputable company happened to send somebody a complete lower receiver right to their door, but meant to send it through an FFL first. Meaning the lower, and the serial number are completely unregistered....

• BBean
    Favorite Answer

It would mean they were the last owner on record. When and if the transaction became in question then the company may be audited by the givers of their license and would have to explain and begin back-tracking. The address delivered to may get a few questions also. Intentional shipping or unintentional shipping plays a big role. Usually someone has to sign and the tracking number shows where delivered and the time when the the postal worker wanded the bar code. The electronic signature is on record as well.

It legally happens every day of the year.

If you send a rifle in for warranty repair and the manufacturer decides to replace it with a new one - they send it registered mail, signature required to your home and you get it.  No FFL required.

How do I know?  I sent in a broken FN FiveSeven pistol to FN USA in 2011.  I just sent the gun in a baggie.  Three weeks alter UPS show up with a complete new kit - pistols, three mags, case, manual and fired cartridge just like a store bought one.

The serial numbers ARE NOT COMPLETELTY UNREGISTERED silly!  When police begin to trace a gun - they start at the manufacturer!  If they trace my pistol - it would lead the police from FN directly to me.  

Your gun serial numbers are not registered.  Unless you live in 'one of those states'.  The only big registry of guns in the US - is the one for stolen weapons.

The FFL transfer process is not "registration".  Guns aren't registered federally and in most states and only the transfer form (ATF 4473) actually records the serial number and recipient of the firearm.  

A "reputable company" shipping firearms would also have to be an FFL.  If they intended to ship it to an FFL, then their records would indicate a transfer to the FFL that was intended. They only way it would likely be detected is if someone who knew about it notified the authorities, which would likely only be the person that received it, the FFL that was expecting to receive it, or the person(s) that shipped it.  Shipping companies require that guns only be shipped to the FFL (or the original owner if shipping a repaired gun), but I doubt they check.  If no one notified the authorities, then the only way it would be detected is if the ATF verified each gun the FFL shipped got to the destination that was listed in their log book.

• connor1 month agoReport

Well anderson just shipped it strait to my door. No problem. I juat didnt select and FFL. and there it was. 

I received  three lowers last month (December) because  I made up a FFL number and

told the company I was a dealer. HaHa I am so cool.

• BBean
      1 month agoReport

You are either lying or admitting a felony...take your choice.
      You are NOT as anonymous as you may think.

• Carson

You can be a citizen, go fill out 4477 pay $25 For a background check.

What fun would there be in that, right?

In AZ there is only that transfer, FFL seller to buyer. It's a ghost gun.