Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 1 month ago

What animals or things taste good to you that others won't try?

I've been hearing about rabbit a lot and I'm so curious to try it, also duck is supposed to taste good. Are those things easy to come by at a store? What do you recommend trying that others wouldn't go for normally? Green tomatoes, frog legs... Etc

11 Answers

Relevance
  • james
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Were having duck today here for supper. Just butchered & froze 6 others yesterday. Frog is good, love crock, dog I don't care for, I prefer water buffalo to beef, You should try chicken chittlings.  Wash them, string them on a skewer, coat with spice, deep fry. Great snack. Salt cured eggs & fish, to name a few. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Throw another Double Tailed Doubled Stinger Duckbilledplattypussy on the grill... add a little Tabasco and grill slowly for 20 min.. 

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

All the things you mention are easy to buy from a supermarket. Good foods that aren't include snake, muskrat and nutria (very similar), and winged beans. I understand that the coffee beans that have passed through the digestive tract of a binturong or civet cat are supposed to be good but have never tried coffee made from them. I have tried both Brazilian and Turkish coffee, though. And the real Moccha  and Blue Mountain coffees.

• ...Show all comments
    • oikoσ
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

The beaver I've had in my mouth was too hairy. Muskrat and nutria are probably best stewed or otherwise cooked in liquid.

• 1 month ago

Rabbit is very like dry chicken. because of it's dryness it is popular in stews,

Duck is rich and can be very fatty, so I would recommend sticking to duck breasts/

Have you tried ox tongue as a cold meat? It;s good.

• james
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

How about OX heart stew one of my favored. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Not too easy to get at stores near me, but any farmer would probably have some you can get cheap. Durian Fruit is good- look it up.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Picked herring , sushi, raw oysters smoked salmon 

If others won’t try something new why bother recommending anything. 

I grew up on trying new things my mom would give us. Being of Dutch heritage shaped my food tastes 

• 1 month ago

Possum pie .

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Alligator tail or snake is very good.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Ant sundae (preferably black ants.)

• 1 month ago

The key to the more exotic meats is proper preparation.

Escargot (snails) are delicious and so are frog's legs. Rabbit has a similar texture to chicken legs/thighs but if not cooked correctly is very tough. It can have a slightly 'gamy' taste to it so it works best with a sauce of some kind. Duck and goose have more fat and the meat is darker than chicken and turkey. I happen to like the flavor, but duck is often paired with a sauce (think duck l'orange').

I've tried green tomatoes and am not a fan, but there are other vegetables many people have never tried that I like. Parsnips are one. They look and cook like carrots but have a nutty flavor.

You can get anything in most towns - there will be stores, just not the typical grocery store - that will have escargot or frog's legs - but you can get them. You will pay more than 'regular; foods, just because the market is small and they aren't massively raised/grown, which keeps costs lower.

Venison aka deer meat is also something I like, but that is very hard to find commercially. You generally have to hunt or know hunters you can buy some from.

Parsnips and any vegetable are only available in-season.

• 1 month ago

I like calamari rings, battered and deep fried.....I however, do not like calamari when it is served to me as slimy baby octopus.

• Ruth1 month agoReport

I like Ostrich meat is very delicious and nutritious 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.