Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 1 month ago

What animals or things taste good to you that others won't try?

I've been hearing about rabbit a lot and I'm so curious to try it, also duck is supposed to taste good. Are those things easy to come by at a store? What do you recommend trying that others wouldn't go for normally? Green tomatoes, frog legs... Etc

• james
    Favorite Answer

Were having duck today here for supper. Just butchered & froze 6 others yesterday. Frog is good, love crock, dog I don't care for, I prefer water buffalo to beef, You should try chicken chittlings.  Wash them, string them on a skewer, coat with spice, deep fry. Great snack. Salt cured eggs & fish, to name a few. 

Throw another Double Tailed Doubled Stinger Duckbilledplattypussy on the grill... add a little Tabasco and grill slowly for 20 min.. 

• oikoσ

All the things you mention are easy to buy from a supermarket. Good foods that aren't include snake, muskrat and nutria (very similar), and winged beans. I understand that the coffee beans that have passed through the digestive tract of a binturong or civet cat are supposed to be good but have never tried coffee made from them. I have tried both Brazilian and Turkish coffee, though. And the real Moccha  and Blue Mountain coffees.

• oikoσ
      1 month agoReport

The beaver I've had in my mouth was too hairy. Muskrat and nutria are probably best stewed or otherwise cooked in liquid.

Rabbit is very like dry chicken. because of it's dryness it is popular in stews,

Duck is rich and can be very fatty, so I would recommend sticking to duck breasts/

Have you tried ox tongue as a cold meat? It;s good.

• james
      1 month agoReport

How about OX heart stew one of my favored. 

Not too easy to get at stores near me, but any farmer would probably have some you can get cheap. Durian Fruit is good- look it up.

Picked herring , sushi, raw oysters smoked salmon 

If others won’t try something new why bother recommending anything. 

I grew up on trying new things my mom would give us. Being of Dutch heritage shaped my food tastes 

Possum pie .

• mokrie

Alligator tail or snake is very good.

Ant sundae (preferably black ants.)

The key to the more exotic meats is proper preparation.

Escargot (snails) are delicious and so are frog's legs. Rabbit has a similar texture to chicken legs/thighs but if not cooked correctly is very tough. It can have a slightly 'gamy' taste to it so it works best with a sauce of some kind. Duck and goose have more fat and the meat is darker than chicken and turkey. I happen to like the flavor, but duck is often paired with a sauce (think duck l'orange').

I've tried green tomatoes and am not a fan, but there are other vegetables many people have never tried that I like. Parsnips are one. They look and cook like carrots but have a nutty flavor.

You can get anything in most towns - there will be stores, just not the typical grocery store - that will have escargot or frog's legs - but you can get them. You will pay more than 'regular; foods, just because the market is small and they aren't massively raised/grown, which keeps costs lower.

Venison aka deer meat is also something I like, but that is very hard to find commercially. You generally have to hunt or know hunters you can buy some from.

Parsnips and any vegetable are only available in-season.

I like calamari rings, battered and deep fried.....I however, do not like calamari when it is served to me as slimy baby octopus.

• Ruth1 month agoReport

I like Ostrich meat is very delicious and nutritious