Kishore asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

How should I deal with a neighbor who called the cops on me? ?

We’re in college and live in student housing but in separate apartments. I was working out in my apartment and the neighbor who lives below called the school public safety that I was making loud banging noises. 

The officer was nice and told me to keep it down and left. Not sure why the neighbor couldn’t just walk up the stairs and talk to me about it. I feel like going over there and giving him an earful. 

• Misty
    Favorite Answer

Next time you see him tell him "Sorry I was making so much noise. I didn't realize you could hear anything. Please let me know next time and just come to my door. I will totally  understand". NOW, you may not feel this way, you may feel like telling him off or even cursing him. BUT, you are using "psychology" to get what YOU want. YOU don't want a problem in the future so you are going to any means necessary to get your own way. It's part of being a smooth operator. He probably called the campus police because he was afraid to come down. Maybe he feared that someone would tell him to blank off or perhaps even an argument would start and a fist fight would break out. I think he did it more out of fear. But if you do what I say, act real apologetic (not as in a wimp...but just act "genuine" (even though you don't mean it), you will have this guy eating out of your hands. Let him know you aren't to be feared. I think he was afraid to come down. When I was in college the people below me came to my door and complained about my music being too loud. On the other hand, someone down the hall was playing loud music and I was afraid to go to her door so I called the cops.

maybe he was afraid to talk to you about it and just got someone else to do it

• Jerry

You're neighbor didn't know what was going on. Like it could have been a home invasion or domestic violence. You're neighbor did the right things to let the cops check instead of taking the risk of exposing him/herself to possible danger. You should thank your neighbor for being concerned for your safety, for taking action to help in case you were in danger. 

Just ignore him you didn't do anything so don't worry about it. Get on with your life

• Kieth

Because getting a cop involved means there doesn't have to be a confrontation between the disputing parties.

• Kishore
      1 month agoReport

This is not even a dispute. He can just knock on my door and tell me to keep it down.