Why don't more homes have rooftop decks covering their rooves/roofs? Not only do they provide cool places to hangout and have a barbecue?

They shade the roof and keep the house cooler in the summer.

So why aren't they more common?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Mr. P
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

We have snow here sometimes 3 feet deep. The roof is at an angle so it slides off.

If I had a flat roof or deck the weight of snow would probably cave the roof in.

Sure have a deck if you never get snow. If you don't get rain I wouldn't bother with a roof either.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

If you have a flat roof in a place that gets more snow, it has to be designed and built to withstand that load.  If there is a roof deck it probably won't be in use with the full snow load on top of it, so you'd simply factor in the dead weight of the materials and estimated live load.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Guessing Tornado alley?  Now I see what you are saying.....stairs  Windier than hell, cold as heck when it is raining.  I got a veranda and that just does me fine.  Don't need a place for a chopper to land.

• 4 weeks ago

people who want the roof deck are a small percentage of the pool of home buyers,,the basic house,yard,some green space surrounding,a garage for the gas polluter,almost all want these,,if you desire a special addon,, get an architect to draw up a plan, and a house roughed in,work out the price with the builder

• 4 weeks ago

Many roofs have trusses or rafters that won't support the weight of a party or hot tub.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • cost.... and poor design with no option to add

• Droopy
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

The cost would be astronomical. The structural support needed to hold the weight of the deck alone would be massive then you factor in load on deck.  If your in area it snows it be able to hold the load of a max snow storm in that area.  Plus how much of roof you talking?  Because decks aren't cheap at all by the sqft.  

There definitely neat thought had a friend had a studio in a old building downtown top floor an he had a deck on the roof with a hot tub.

• 4 weeks ago

these are impractical in any area subject to possible snow. the roof is pitched to cause snow to [mostly] fall off ... thus keeping the weight load down.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

There are millions of flat roofs in places that get snow. They just need to be designed and built to meet the required specifications.

• 4 weeks ago

there are many answers ...your neighbor dont like being overlooked ..so you would need planning ...you wont get it ...safety ..after a few drinks who knows?  the roof would need reinforcing ..and you cant sell it ...

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

I don't have any neighbors. I don't need a building permit. I don't drink. A proper guardrail would prevent most accidents. Yes, the roof would (obviously) need to support the added weight, but yes, you can certainly sell it, if it has been properly built and maintained.

• 4 weeks ago

Your reasons are contradictory. If a roof top deck was cool, it wouldn't need to keep the roof cooler.

In fact it would HINDER heat escaping from the house through the roof. If your roof is allowing heat IN, you have serious problems with how it is made.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

The underside of a hot roof can radiate solar heat into the building, regardless of how it's made. That's one reason people insulate their roofs in some regions.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Try selling a house with one.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Why would that matter? That's like saying "try selling a house with a swimming pool". Yes, not everyone wants one, but you only need to find one buyer willing and able.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.