Signing over title?

I just got a car today. The guy I bought it from got it from a family, and the original owner passed away. I have the title, and I need to get the title signed over to me. 

Just to clarify: original owner died. Guy I bought it from got it and the title from the deceased guys family. 

How to I get it signed over?

Just so it’s clear, the original owner is dead. The guy I got it from couldn’t get it signed over to himself for obvious reasons. He told me I’d have to file for a lost title

Don’t answer if you’re gonna be rude or give me a smartass response. I’m looking for legitimate answers. Also, I traded an Xbox for it so it’s not a big deal to me if I can’t do anything. 

Don’t worry, the last thing the state wants, is to lose out on more tax money. I find it interesting that the state would have the Manufacture Statement of Origin (true title). Then send us a worthless piece of paper called a Certificate of Title. At least the Manufacture Title is made of stock market grade paper, expensive paper, at that. 

There may be two options here.  You can hire an attorney to bring the case to a judge and explain how you came into possession of the car.  If there are no liens or other claims to the car by the family then the judge can issue an order for the title to be transferred to you.  Another option is to contact the state motor vehicle department and obtain the documents to file a bond for the title.  States may vary on the process, but in Illinois, the vehicle has to be appraised, which you can have done at any dealership, and the bond is 1 1/2 times the value of the vehicle.  After 3 years if no one claims the car, you get your money back.  To avoid all the above hassle, try to contact the family the car belonged to and find out who the executor of the estate is and see if they will sign over the title.  That could come at a risk as well if that car was not to be sold any they want it back.  Hope you know and trust the guy you got it from.

• bobby

The executor of the estate for the deceased is the only person that can sign over a title on his/her behalf,  until that is done,  the vehicle cannot be registered to anyone. The person you bought it from had no legal right to sell to you because the vehicle was not legally theirs, and should be criminally charged accordingly. 

The registered owner would have to sign the title and bill of sale. Since he is dead, you will be unable to register it or buy a tag without getting a bond that is not easy or cheap.  Ask for your money back as the seller had no right to sell. 

• May

Huh?

Your question is too convoluted to even try to answer.

Grammar matters

• Bort

Who's name is on the owner line on the title?

That is the key here and very important information needed to answser your question. The question can't be answered without that bit of info.

A person can't legally sell property they don't own. I'm not sure what steps to suggest you start with. I would start at the DMV of your area, wherever titles are transferred, call and ask them your question(s).

EPIC FAIL. Good luck getting your money back because you'll never be able to title it in your name. 

You don't. A car only becomes yours when you buy it from a person who is on the title. When you give money to anyone else in the world, you have simply given away money, and the car continues to belong to the person who is on the title. You have to give the title to the executor of the deceased person's estate and have that person get the title out of the name of the deceased person, because you cannot do it yourself. If the executor can't or won't cooperate, then you cannot keep the car and you should try to get the guy you paid to give back your money.

• Ron

You ****** up. He had no legal right to sell the car because he didn't own it. You don't own it either and never will. The only folks that can file for a lost title are either the owner or the estate. If you can get the executor of the estate to sign somehow for the dead guy, then you can take that title to the dmv and get ownership. 

• Anton

Sign off the original owner.  It is NOT forgery if it is not for stealing.

• Anton
      1 month agoReport

http://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=775 -- "forgery

n. 1) the crime of creating a false document, altering a document, or writing a false signature for the illegal benefit of the person making the forgery."