Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Automatic electronic brake no longer engages after shifter is put to P. Why? ?

It's new car. 2020 Toyota corolla with 3200 miles. 

It used to be that as soon as shifter was moved to P from D, the electronic brake automatically engaged and it would disengage on it's own when put to R.

However since yesterday it no longer engages after put to P. Why would that be?

By mistake I spilled hot coffee on the electronic parking brake button and some if it penetrated under the button.

I wiped it with paper towel later. But then electronic brake no longer engages after on P

• M.

It seems like you have solved your own problem but you need to take your new car to the dealership for repair.  Your warranty might cover it.

I checked a waitress's power windows a few years ago from my favorite restaurant and found the door switch filled with hot chocolate!  She hadn't offered the information, but I asked her why there was hot chocolate inside her door, because it was everywhere that couldn't be seen, including inside the door where the motor was.  She said she got a hot chocolate from a donut shop drive-thru and the worker dropped it onto the door.  She forgot to tell me about that part!

The dealer had quoted $400 to "change the window motor". 

I just removed and disassembled the 4-window switch and flushed it with solvent.  I guess chocolate is non-conductive.  Coffee must be an insulator too! 

-Engine overhaul mechanic and general automotive mechanic since 1972

• Scott

You mean because you spilled coffee in the switch and shorted it out?

• Snezzy

Don't try to fix it yourself.

Take it for warranty repair. You mustn't tell them you spilled coffee in it, lest they decide it's your fault, but having the control prone to damage from liquids is a design failure. 

I think they built it wrong right from the beginning because they did not protect sensitive parts from damage. It's almost as bad as if they made a steering wheel that broke off if you turned it too far.

Your update answers your original question. Have the button removed and blown out with contact cleaner and compressed air. If that doesn't work you'll need to replace it.

Well DUH. Spilling the coffee all over the mechanism probably had a lot to do with it. Not a warranty problem, and you should pay them to fix it. You caused it.

I haven't seen any 2020 vehicles in my shop yet. Perhaps there's a setting in the touch screen control section that turns that option on and off like you can set the seats and mirrors to move to different drivers positions. Are you using the other key FOB?

Time to read your owners manual.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

That needs to be fixed under the warranty. It doesn't work now because.......you don't need to know, just have Toyota fix it and tell you what they did when they show you the shop work order when you go pick it up. If it's an adjustable thing, the owner's manual would cover it.