Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 month ago

What type of visa does my husband need?

I am a British Citezen currently living in the U.S with my U.S husband. We are hoping to move back to the UK but are unsure what type of visa he would need to apply for as I've read that he cannot apply for citizenship until he has lived in the UK for 5 years. 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

He'd need a spouse visa.

You'd first need to move to the UK, establish residency, find somewhere to live, and find a job meeting the financial requirements to sponsor his visa; you'd need to hold this job for 6 months to then sponsor him to join you

• Login to reply the answers
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

As YOU are the British citizen you need to apply for his visa and it would be a spousal visa, you need to be transfering to a job in the UK to enable to to qualify for the earnings rules and if that is not possible you will have to return privately rent or purchase a property, find a job earning at least £18,600 and work for the employer for at least 6 months (or use savings of £62k) before you apply for the visa....... he has to enter the UK using the spousal visa and it can take up to 2 yrs to get accepted although it can also be less time than that.

Not only can he not apply for citizenship just because he is married to a British citizen, if he gets the visa it is for 30 months and has to be renewed/extended and you have to live together to prove it is a real marriage, only once he has lived in the UK for the required time he can then apply for ILR and 12 months later citizenship

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You need to move back here and apply for a spousal visa for him. You must be earning at least £18.600 a year for at least 6 months and not be claiming benefits.

Applying for citizenship comes years later.

• 1 month ago

Study the UK govt website for complete details. You must prove you earn enough to meet support requirements (currently GBP18,600/yr if it is just the 2 of you), and you must have a suitable home in the UK for the both of you, too. Since you cannot be receiving or have received any "benefits," you must purchase or rent your home on the open market, no council housing.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

he needs to ask immigration about it

• 1 month ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.