Kiss Me Kate asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

why do cats have to eat each other's food?

it is like musical chairs when I feed my cats--one goes right to the others bowl...so he moves to another's bowl...and so on...

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Because they think the food is different in another cat's bowl.  You can prevent this by feeding them in separate rooms.  My one cat eats her food in a cage because she is a slow eater compared to her "brothers".  Two brothers eat in the same room as my female but in separate spots as they eat about the same pace.  The 4th cat eats in the treehouse or our bedroom by himself as he is the fastest eater.  He chooses where he wants to eat and is served last.

• Bort
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

They're sharing because they get along. Be glad they're not fighting over the food being territorial.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Cats are curious, and the reason they do this is because they might feel they are missing out on something.  Maybe there's a different flavor cat food in the other bowl.  They keep going until they get to their favorites!

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

cause theyd rather eat their food instead

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It's probably a group thing, like humans conforming all the time, perhaps it's a survival mechanism.

• 1 month ago

This removes the need to sniff the other cat's butt like dogs do.

• ...Show all comments
    • The Football God
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Really? I'm a dog guy and they're famous for that, but when I cad a cat it was only one at a time. I guess they were limit to sniffing their own butt.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.