Can you explain the 10 mm socket jokes?

If they are the most widely used, wouldn’t you have more than one?  So why does it matter if you lose it? Just use another. I’m not a mechanic, so maybe I need the joke explained. 

Search engine “10 mm socket jokes”. Then go to images. There are hundreds of them. 

• Mike S
    Favorite Answer

its used so often that it get misplaced sometimes by lazy mechanics that don't put their tools away. so they are always searching for one. the joke is actually just a nod from one lazy mechanic to another lazy mechanic.

10 MM is European. And rather small (less than 1/2 inch). Often, they're dropped or misplaced. So, like sliders, you buy them a dozen at a time.

Working on metric vehicles since 1970 and I never heard one 10mm socket joke.

Not really a joke.  What it means is not to waste time a lot of time looking for the socket when you have other tools that can do the job of the 10 mm socket.  You can look for the socket later or get another one.

• jonniebaby
      1 month agoReport

Thanks for your answer. But there actually are tons of jokes about it. I see it often and that’s why I asked for it to be explained. 

• Jason

10mm seems to get lost the most. I use to lose mine a lot when I first started. Good thing they were cheap Craftsman sockets then. Since I've been doing this a while I'm not in as much of a rush as I use to be to make hours. My hourly rate is enough now that I can slow down and make sure all of my tools are accounted for and put away before I pull a car out and start on the next.