how much does the patient pay for long term nursing home?

Usually, however much they have, and then they go on medicaid. Very few patients are ever able to return home, and they generally spend the rest of their lives there (or in the hospital), so they eventually run out of money, unless they die first.

depends on the patient, everyone is different

It depends upon the nursing home and the services offered and required.  My mother-in-law has a friend who is staying in a fairly basic, no-frills nursing home in Appalachia.  She pays $6,000 per month.

Depends on the home and the amount of care. My wife cost about $12,000 per month. Fortunately half that was covered by long-term medical insurance. My wife had dementia; so she had special needs that many patients in nursing homes would not have.

But even so, even in low-cost areas of the US, a nursing home would cost $4000 to $6000 a month. My mother cost $4000 a month but she was housed in a low-cost part of the States. It really is a good idea to get long-term health insurance to cover nursing homes, which are pretty much inevitable in our lives nowadays.