Will power sliding or drifting in snow damage my car in anyways?

In a free parking lot, there was lots of snow and I decided to have fun there with my AWD car. It was fun, however, I am paranoid will it do any damage to my car?

• David
    Favorite Answer

if any damage was done, it would have been to the tires

but tires are not meant to last forever, anyway

Besides, if it really was snowy, there probably was little friction for the tires to grab onto

so even thinking about the tires, there was probably little damage to the tires

• David

(continued)  The only damage I ever managed to do to my car was on totally dry pavement when the daytime high temperature was warm enough to make me crank the a/c up.

If you are careful - then no, but as 'JetDoc' pointed out - you don't always know what is under that snow, and if you start having too much fun, you might get too close to a pole/wall/vehicle or other immovable object.

I've seen people do a lot of damage to cars when goofing around on snow/ice (or even just wet conditions) - not least of which was over-revving their engines and breaking drive-train components like axles/gearboxes.

• JetDoc

All it takes is bumping into one curb or dropping a wheel into a pothole. If you don't know EXACTLY what's UNDER the snow, DON'T DO IT!

Who cares?  You can always buy a new car. SMH

You likely smoked the transmission and the transfer case already.  The traction control light will be On and the car might be in "limp home" mode soon.  Good luck.

If you do not run into any curbs, walls, other cars or parking curbs, it should be all good fun.   As long as you do not floor it until the engine explodes, it should be less harm than driving normal on bare pavement.  

• Yoshitatsu2 months agoReport

I did not hit anything, however will it do any damage to my cv joints, bearings, brakes?

Yes, as soon as you hit a curb or some other obstruction that is hidden under the snow.

• Yoshitatsu2 months agoReport

I didn't hit anything though?

Applying stresses to any object for which it was not designed is never a good thing . . . actually it's idiotic and stupid.  But if money is no problem for you, go ahead and trash it and buy another.