Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Do some people refuse to speak the common language to assert their language or exclude undesirable races as opposed to simply convenience?

Update:

language is supposed to be something people have in common otherwise it becomes meaningless.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

"In Common"? Try Visiting Belgium and Switzerland. They speak 3 and Four  languages, respectively. Ireland speaks English and Gaelic. 

You mean English in the US.? Sorry  to say, there is no "official" language, here. Only with govt and legal work. And all amateur and airline communication must be in English. Only MARS stations  may  let another party  communicate  in other than  English. while the station licensee must operate radio and give required callsigns In English. 

NM  speaks   Spanish, LA speaks French. My Gt. Grandpa's death certificate was in Swedish  ( this was  in Manhattan, KS). The Bank of America was Bank of Italy, I saw it in an Italian San Francisco newspaper from WWII. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Don't go imagining negative reasons where none exist. When people speak their native language in "your" public spaces, they are not "refusing" to speak English. It's just that we are all more comfortable with the language we know best. Languages and "races" [an outmoded concept] are unrelated. We are all members of the same race: the human race.

Maybe they simply desire a little privacy from eavesdroppers, or maybe they feel they can be more precise and accurate in their first language. As for convenience, almost all immigrants are busy learning English, but they may not have advanced very far with it yet. Don't be so judgmental! If you fear that people are talking about you or laughing at you, consider the possibility that maybe they are just amused by the thundercloud casting its dark shadow on your face.

• 1 month ago

The common language??  What ARE you talking about?

• 1 month ago

Look, when you're 35 and you're in a place where you don't speak the language, you may have little or no interest learning either if you can get by without it.

It's not about trying to spread the language, it's that most immigrants work a lot and don't have time or money to spend on classes or whatever else and learning by immersion is VERY hard if you're older than 25 and have an average Intelligence..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Since there are no genetically distinct races of humans, no.

Most people speak a language their audience understands. When I speak German or Dutch with anglos present, it is because I can say things for which English doesn't have words, or because I think those(!!) Anglos living here should learn the local language.

ALL national languages serve to exclude outsiders, and English is not an exception

• 1 month ago

They probably aren't comfortable with speaking the common language all the time. Try moving to Japan and carry a conversation with a native Japanese person.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.