Should I go to law school or get an mfa in writing?

What are y’all opinions? I’ve always wanted to be a lawyer as well as a writer but I’m just debating which route I should take and give me some ideas of some why’s and why nots? Thank you

Go to Law School.  The Democratic Party is encouraging illegal aliens to commit all kinds of crimes; and, with thousands of them pouring into California every year, they'll need defense attorneys when they commit drug-dealing, gang warfare, rape and murder.  The love of money is the root of all evil, and Democrats (and Roman Catholic parishes) are making a fortune on this illegal alien racket.  You can, too, if you're a defender!   

• Logan

Lawyer, doesn't take a university degree to learn how to write. You read and you write and you get feedback and you write again, that's how you become a writer. Do both and get a degree in law and write as much as you want.

Honestly? Neither.

Getting an MFA in writing is a waste of money and time. And quite frankly, you don't seem to have the talent or the work ethic to be a writer. As for law, just based on the fact that you're asking this question, it doesn't seem like you're gonna make a good lawyer: You don't research, you trust strangers online to give you the right info, you don't come up with solid arguments for your own options, you need others to give you ideas as if you don't have a brain of your own, you make empty assumptions such as getting an MFA in writing is a good idea if you want to be a writer, you rely on others to decide about your own future... The list goes on and on. Even if it's just for the second opinion, that already tells me how you're going to perform as a lawyer. I'm not telling you, this is my opinion and reasoning. I strongly urge you to look into other career options and be realistic as to your abilities. 

• goons bro4 weeks agoReport

FYI, It’s always smart to ask questions before investing in thousands of dollars worth of an education!

• Andrew

I'm a professional life coach. You should major in interpretative dance and then join the Peace Corps. Do a 4 year enlistment and your top choices should be Burkina Faso, El Salvador and the Central African Republic. Upon completing your obligation, move to Chiloe Island and open a raw seafood bar. Perform for your customers and relate the rich history of the local witch cults through dance. Upon your death, donate all that you've accrued to a high school in the Northwest Territories on the condition that they agree to set a Guinness World Record for jai alai. When you're not working, spend every waking moment attempting to become ambidextrous. You're most welcome. 

• j153e

If you go to a law school and are in the upper half of your class (by LSAT, etc. metrics), then you'll likely do well enough to study for state bar(s) and find your/a niche, perhaps in copyright law re creative writing, etc.

MFAs are perhaps more about promoting your authentic, inner voice, by offering models.  A writer, in tune with their inner child and hence Source, can arrive there by herself.

MFAs are less rigorous and therefore more doable for adults of all ages.

You might take notes about your general experience, and write a short story or article in the general tradition of "1L of a Ride" and "Law School Confidential;" "Law 101" would be good for helping you decide.

Related:

"Understanding Yourself" by Mark Prophet;

"Creation:  Artistic and Spiritual."

• chorle

Most authors I follow would say get an education that gives you a paying job and gives you something to write about. I think you might be able to take writing as a minor since English and Comprehensive skills and avoiding the million dollar comma seem like a good match for law 

Y'all should do both of those things, simultaneously, y'all. Hope this y'all'd.

• Riah

Most of my favorite authors don’t have a degree in writing, I’m just saying. As it is with most creative fields, unless you plan to teach the subject someday, you don’t -really- need a degree in it

• Cogito

Law school.

You can always write in your spare time.  Making any money at all from writing is highly unlikely, so at least you should have a career in law if you're very intelligent.

It depends on which language you prefer.  Do you want to write in English or in Legalese?  Personally Legalese would drive me crazy despite the fact that being a lawyer, in some cases at least, can be an honorable profession.