Salt and Peppy asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Why does my indoor catch mice but not eat them?

There has only been 3 mice in the last 7 years, but we find them without a mark on them (there was a tiny amount of blood on one, but it wasn’t tore up).

Does she maybe just want to play and accidentally kills them?

• Ocimom

Cats have the instinct to hunt and kill small prey.  But not always to eat them.  I've heard that the mom cat has to hunt, kill and teach her babies its food if you want them to do the same as grown up cats.  

If they are fed other food and are not hungry, they will just hunt and kill and leave the body.  In a way this may be a wise thing.  If the mouse was poisoned and the cat ate the mouse, the cat would be poisoned too.

• Cats like to hunt. It's in their nature, their favorite game, like basketball for some people. Your cat won't eat the mice, because she's not hungry. She just wants to play.

Because pet cats that are being fed hunt for sport not food. Is this inside or outside? If this is outside I can guarantee your cat is killing a LOT more animals than that. One house cat can kill up to a thousand birds and small animals every year.

• Maxi

You don't want your cat to eat them they can cause your cat to be very ill and most pet cats won't eat them anyway, they are just a catch. play and kill ' toy' for them

• PAMELA

No, it just means that she is not hungry, so does not eat the mouse

Their instincts are to hunt. They will stalk and catch things that move. That is their instinct. Their instinct does not instruct them to eat what they may catch. That is why cats that grew up eating cat food may not eat the mice they catch. My cat used to catch the mice that had escaped from my cages without me knowing (I raised mice to feed my pet snakes) and he would throw them up into the air without eating them, after they stopped moving after hours of catch and release. As a kitten, he had a lot of fun playing catch. He caught rubber balls bouncing on the ground, and he caught sticks that I move on the floor. He even tried to catch a light spot on the wall tha came from a flashlight. He would even run after people and pounce on their ankles. He never learned to eat those toys. BTW, cats also have the instinct of bringing back prey to their loved ones. So, don't be surprised if your cat bring a mouse to you as a gift. Outdoor cats often bring back prey they catch to offer them to their owners.

You're feeding it too much.  If there are mice around you don't really need to feed cats at all.  Cats like killing mice so much that they kill more than they can eat, especially when they are getting other free food as well.  They can't help it, they are biologically programmed to hunt.  And by the way, "playing" with a mouse is really just a euphemism for torturing it to death.