If you have any relative with autism, can you help me?

I just live with mom and brother who's 18 and has autism, how have you dealt with lack of communication skills, starting from lack of eye contact. There's a person who comes home twice a week to help him and stimulate him with his speech issues. But he never ever makes eye contact, sometimes (I'm young) I lose control of the situation and say "Austin!, look at me!". But doesn't seem to work really. Have you dealt with this? 

Favorite Answer

eye contact is NOT essential, in fact autistic people consider it abusive to force it.  unless the person is working in a professional field such a lawyer or accountant, its not an issue.

instead encourage him to look toward you (at your chin or next to your head...what he is comfortable with.  give him a visual prompt  praise him for looking toward you even without eye contact.

but if your parents are insisting eye contact is important...you have to go along with that for now..

without knowing Austin, it is impossible to tell you what the best way to communicate with Austin is.

are you in the US (or living elsewhere)?  he should still be getting school services through age 21 if he needs them...and that should include speech.

• American Boy
      1 month agoReport

EXACTLY, we have a complex family history and we didn't fully provide what he needed and people won't always help you. TY again. 

There is no "how" you just do it.

" "Austin!, look at me!" ", you shouldn't ever be that rude toward him, I know it can be exhausting, but that will never work.