RCA 50 nch flat screen stays on for about 5 minutes, then goes off?

I hear 1 loud click/pop and the tv goes off, i can unplug it from the power source and plug it right back in and it does the same thing, crystal clear picture for about 5 minutes, then a loud popping noise and it goes back off, anybody else ever experience this before? In past experiences the tv was done for after it did this one time and never came back on again so its got me puzzled

Take it to a TV repair shop.

It's more than likely a bad power supply. This is one of the more common parts to go bad on TV's. (Sony used to have a huge issue with power supply failures in the early 2000's.) Unless you know how to work on TV's yourself though, the cost of repair is usually more than the TV is worth. A repair can run $300.00 to 600.00 alone. So unless your TV costs $1,000.00 or more, it's usually not worth repairing them. 

Yes RCA brands, as well as Westinghouse, or Proscan, Magnavox, Sceptre etc... tend to be very budget cheap TV's.   

So if you do replace your TV, I would suggest Sony, LG, or Samsung. These manufacturers are the big guys for reliability and technology. 

As of right now, Costco has a deal on a 50" Samsung for $296.99 (Before Sales Tax) 

https://www.costco.com/samsung-50%22-class---6-ser...

Meijer also has a sale going on for TV's. I've seen a 50" inch LG also for under $300.00 there. (4K as well.) I also saw a 43" inch 1080p Full HDTV by LG at Meijer. 

Best of luck! 

Quit buying crap brands.

• khalil

maybe a loose heatsink on a power transistor or   an ic ... so it will carry more current so the electronic fuse(relay) starts activating

RCA is not really the best brand in the first place so I would go with the other answers.  There are many cheap TV's on craigslist if you cannot afford to go to Walmart and spend $300 on a new 50 inch tv.

It is probably messed up enough to get it repaired or replaced 

just trash it and get another one

• Yeah that's the simplest thing to do but i'm not financially secure enough to comfortably do that  so i wondered if it anybody else had ever experienced this and if  it was an expensive fix